What’s in a reputation? My film pal Sheldon Davidson tells us.
Bear in mind when a radio program, tv present or film knowledgeable us that “This story is true — the names have been modified to guard the harmless?” Properly, not all the time. Generally the names had been modified to make sure that we didn’t study the actors’ actual names, their ethnicity, or their non secular backgrounds. All of us knew the true names of Cary Grant, Tony Curtis, Edward G, Robinson, Lee J. Cobb, and so on. — however that’s maybe a future high 10 record.
As a result of we had been all going to fall in love with the feminine actors, their actual surnames had been particularly secret. First names and typically center names had been stored however the household identify was by no means the identical!
10) Natalie Hershlag — This Israeli-born actress danced her manner into our hearts in “Black Swan” (2010) — an Academy Award-winning actress. That’s Natalie Portman.
9) Caryn Elaine Johnson — She starred in “The Shade Purple” and received an Oscar for Finest Supporting Actress in “Ghost” (1990). Loads of TV speak reveals and an outspoken liberal advocate. That’s Whoopi Goldberg.
8) Harlean Carpenter — She was often called each the unique platinum blond and the blond bombshell with 36 motion pictures within the 1930s. On the time of her premature dying, she was engaged to actor William Powell who was the “Skinny Man” in six motion pictures. That’s Jean Harlow.
7) Sarah Jane Mayfield — She was the ex-wife of the primary divorced president of the US. She struck us dumb along with her appearing, and received an Oscar along with her unbelievable efficiency in “Johnny Belinda.” That’s Jane Wyman.
6) Judith Tuvim — In considered one of her motion pictures, she performed a imply recreation of gin rummy with William Holden, and was one of many biggest display screen comedians of her time — a lot sensible, she was not “Born Yesterday.” That’s Judy Vacation.
5) Virginia Katherine McMath — She began her profession by trying stunning in motion pictures, however her singing and dancing demonstrated her fabulous abilities. She may do every part her main man may do and she or he did it backwards and in excessive heels. That’s Ginger Rogers.
4) Doris Mary Ann Kappelhoff — She sang “By the Gentle of the Silvery Moon” with Gordon MacRae; she was “Younger at Coronary heart” with Frank Sinatra; and she or he was nice with Rock Hudson, Jimmy Stewart, and even James Cagney. That’s Doris Day.
3) Margarita Carmen On line casino — A wonderful dancer and some of the stunning ladies to ever grace the silver display screen. She danced with Fred Astaire, married Orson Welles, and was “Gilda” in considered one of Glenn Ford’s biggest motion pictures. That’s Rita Hayworth.
2) Audrey Kathleen Rustin — Point out her motion pictures and also you instantly know this celebrity — “Charade,” “My Truthful Woman,” and so on. her expertise was boundless. That’s Audrey Hepburn.
1) Betty Joan Perske — Who doesn’t know this nonpareil actress, the 19-year-old former mannequin who instructed her main man that each one he needed to do was whistle — “You understand how to whistle, don’t you, Steve? Simply put your lips collectively and blow.” That’s Lauren Bacall.
There are various others: Frances Ethel Gumm; Emma Matzo; and Shirley Schrift; and so they had been nice however Sheldon couldn’t match them on this Prime 10. [Answers: Judy Garland; Lizbeth Scott; and Shelley Winters].
Do you’ve others so as to add?
Leave a Reply