1. So much has been written about rankings for the NFL and NBA. The NBA is coming off report lows for the Finals, whereas the NFL’s numbers are down a little bit bit throughout the board.
Everyone seems to be twisting themselves right into a pretzel to elucidate the decrease numbers on the subject of these two leagues as a result of they’re the preferred on this nation. However the fact is that nearly each league has confronted plummeting rankings. In lots of circumstances, leagues have skilled report lows over the previous few months.
The one exception has been the WNBA. In accordance with ESPN, its protection of the Seattle Storm’s championship-clinching win in Recreation Three of the Finals was up 34% year-over-year over Recreation Three of the 2019 WNBA Finals and up 27% over the Washington Mystics’ Recreation 5 championship win final 12 months.
The Finals between Seattle and the Las Vegas Aces averaged 440,000 viewers for the three-game collection, up 15% over the WNBA Finals.
That is about it for the excellent news on the subject of sports activities rankings in 2020. Every little thing else is a catastrophe.
Here’s a sampling of these horrible numbers through Sports Media Watch:
• The 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs averaged 953,000 viewers throughout NBC’s TV and digital platforms. That is a 38% lower in comparison with final 12 months.
• The ultimate spherical of golf’s U.S. Open averaged a 2.zero ranking and three.21 million viewers for NBC, the bottom rated and least-watched ultimate spherical of the event ever and down 55% from 2019.
• The Preakness on NBC was down 56% in viewership from 2019.
• Even when there’s excellent news, there’s dangerous information. Final Saturday’s Tennessee-Georgia sport on CBS averaged a 3.1 ranking and 5.77 million viewers, making it the highest-rated and most-watched sport of the season. Nonetheless, the ranking was nonetheless 21% decrease than CBS’s Week 6 SEC sport in 2019.
It was additionally the primary sport of the season to common no less than a 3.zero ranking. By this date in 2019, 15 school soccer video games averaged no less than a 3.zero rankings.
• Sunday’s Recreation 1 of the ALCS on TBS drew 2.07 million viewers. Monday’s Recreation 2 of the ALCS drew 1.88 million viewers. These are actually the 2 least-watched LCS video games ever. The viewership numbers for the 2 video games are down 66% from the primary two video games of 2019’s ALCS.
The takeaway from all this? Twine reducing, fully totally different schedules, being in the midst of a pandemic and being in an election 12 months have damage all sports activities, and there is not one single cause why any sports activities is affected by decrease viewership.
Nonetheless, folks flocking to cable information could be the largest cause primarily based on these numbers via AP.
• Fox Information averaged of 4.42 million final week–up 63%.
• MSNBC averaged 2.75 million final week–up 38%
• CNN averaged 2.59 million final week–up 172%.
The takeaway is straightforward: With out an election 12 months in 2021 and with (hopefully) the pandemic turning into a factor of the previous, most sports activities will get pleasure from a viewership enhance in 2021.
2. The Braves led the Dodgers 7–zero within the seventh inning Tuesday evening, however needed to maintain on for an 8–7 win. After the the sport, one reporter stored attempting to spin the Braves’ win as a destructive, however Atlanta pitcher Mark Melancon wasn’t having it.
3. As soon as Derrick Henry stiff armed Josh Norman into one other planet Tuesday evening, you realize he’d get this week’s Offended Runs crown from Kyle Brandt.
Henry additionally had an ideal quote after the sport about what he did to Norman.
4. That is nice stuff by former Giants working again Rashad Jennings on Eli Manning. Jennings discusses Manning’s dry humorousness (“He is such a goof”) and makes some extent that I’ve by no means considered earlier than, however makes numerous sense: Eli would’ve been an ideal character on The Workplace.
5. A brand-new SI Media Podcast can be launched this afternoon with Contained in the NBA host Ernie Johnson.
Within the meantime, you should catch up on recent episodes and subscribe to the SI Media Podcast. Current company embrace James Andrew Miller, Al Michaels, Dan Patrick and Kevin Harlan.
6. RANDOM VIDEO OF THE DAY: Noticed this clip for the primary time over the weekend and was mesmerized as standard when Paul Heyman speaks. Right here he’s explaining his famous SmackDown promo on Vince McMahon. This can be a must-watch for any wrestling fan.
7. SPORTS VIDEO OF THE DAY: 5 years in the past at the moment, José Bautista gave us one of many biggest bat flips in baseball historical past.
Make sure to catch up on past editions of Traina Thoughts and take a look at the Sports activities Illustrated Media Podcast hosted by Jimmy Traina on Apple, Spotify or Stitcher. You may as well comply with Jimmy on Twitter and Instagram.