UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — The Institute for Computational and Information Sciences (ICDS) is accepting purposes for its 2021-22 seed grant program geared toward funding tasks that may leverage synthetic intelligence — AI — to advance transformative analysis, in addition to use the expertise to reinforce the method of scientific discovery itself.
Functions shall be accepted at the seed grant website now by Feb. 1, 2021.
Based on Jenni Evans, professor of meteorology and atmospheric science and director of the Institute for Computational and Data Sciences, the seed grants present the preliminary enhance of funding to help interdisciplinary analysis teams to develop the bottom work wanted for looking for main exterior analysis awards. Extra grants are accessible to help the group of nationwide or worldwide analysis conferences, held at Penn State, that strengthen and encourage computation- and data-enabled interdisciplinary analysis.
“The ICDS Seed Grant program has funded progressive interdisciplinary analysis to creatively deal with challenges that face science and society,” stated Evans. “This 12 months we shall be predominantly specializing in a number of key areas, together with exploring scientific AI, making use of transformative purposes of scientific AI in the true world, constructing the infrastructure vital for next-generation AI and leveraging knowledge science for variety. A small pool of funds can even be accessible to help new interdisciplinary analysis collaborations with colleagues at Monash College (Australia). Particulars of the related thematic areas can be found on the seed grant web site.”
This 12 months’s program will search to fund tasks within the following classes:
- Scientific AI. This class consists of novel AI strategies and instruments for accelerating a number of essential steps in scientific discovery, together with producing and rating hypotheses, integrating knowledge throughout modalities and scales, integrating fashions, assimilating knowledge, developing and refining predictive, mechanistic, and causal fashions, optimizing experiments and explaining fashions
- Transformative purposes of scientific AI within the biomedical and well being sciences, cognitive and mind sciences, life sciences, bodily sciences, materials sciences, local weather sciences and associated disciplines.
- Revolutionary superior knowledge and computational infrastructure constructing blocks for subsequent technology AI, and AI for optimizing next-generation scientific knowledge and computational infrastructure.
- Design ideas for socially accountable AI and knowledge science, together with approaches to moral, accountable, truthful, clear, simply use of AI and knowledge science.
- Information Science and Range
Tasks can originate from tenured, tenure-track, or analysis school; nevertheless, both the PI or Co-PI should be a tenured or tenure-track school. Recipients, both PI or Co-PI, of the final 12 months’s seed grant aren’t eligible for funding below this solicitation. College students and postdocs can’t function PIs or Co-PIs.
The awards, which generally vary from practically $3,000 to $35,000, will help researchers doing progressive interdisciplinary work in these areas.
In 2020, ICDS funded 32 tasks, awarding greater than $650,000. Together with supplemental funds from faculties, the 32 tasks acquired $725,893.00 in help. These interdisciplinary tasks — spearheaded by 57 researchers from 12 Penn State faculties and 31 tutorial departments, in addition to the Utilized Analysis Laboratory — embrace: advancing deep studying, utilizing AI to know and counteract the polarization of politic opinion, investigating Arctic sea ice prediction and leveraging machine studying to speed up quantum computing.
The ICDS seed grant program started in 2016.
Profitable seed grant tasks must be introduced late spring 2021 and tasks can begin as early as Summer time 2021.
For extra info, go to the ICDS seed grant website.