SANTA CLARA (CBS SF) — With new COVID instances and hospitalizations persevering with to surge, Santa Clara County well being officers Saturday introduced additional restrictions on native companies, discouraged non-essential journey and can now require a 14-day quarantine on anybody returning to the county from a visit of greater than 150 miles.
The restrictions in Santa Clara County embody a ban on contact sports activities just like the San Francisco 49ers and diminished capability inside companies and services open to the general public.
Whereas not issuing a shelter-in-place order, Director of Public Well being Dr. Sara Cody urged folks to remain at house as a lot as attainable.
“We urge everybody to remain house to the best extent which you can,” Cody stated at a uncommon Saturday information convention. “Please keep house. Don’t exit until it’s for important causes.”
As of Saturday, there have been 760 new instances of COVID-19 within the county and 239 COVID-related hospitalizations, 71 of whom are within the ICU. All these are report numbers because the pandemic started in late January.
“We have now the best case price of any county within the San Francisco Bay Space,” Cody stated. “Simply as we speak we had 760 new instances, far shattering any earlier report by over 200 instances.”
And that, Cody warned, was with out the anticipated surge of instances triggered by Thanksgiving journey and gatherings.
“What we do as we speak or what we don’t do as we speak could also be a matter of life and demise for a lot of residing in our county,” she stated. “Our case charges and hospitalizations proceed to surge.”
The variety of sufferers being handled in county hospitals for COVID-19 has doubled since Nov. 12.
“This pandemic is sort of a high-speed practice,” Cody warned. “Our projections inform us that we’re on the right track to derail by across the third week of December if we don’t apply brakes proper now with all our collective may.”
County Counsel James Williams stated the modifications within the well being order would go into impact Monday and stay in place till at the very least Dec. 21.
The brand new order consists of:
- Shops and different services open to the general public can be restricted to 10% capability indoors.
- Grocery shops, drug shops, and pharmacies can be allowed to function at 25% capability indoors to make sure satisfactory entry to meals and drugs
- All services open to the general public should put up staff on the door to verify the capability limits are maintained
- Gatherings proceed to be allowed solely outside, with a most of 100 folks. The state limits such gatherings to First Modification protected actions, similar to non secular companies or protests
- All leisure actions that contain bodily contact or shut proximity to individuals exterior one’s family, together with all contact sports activities, can be quickly prohibited
- Cardrooms are quickly closed
- Resorts and different lodging services can be open just for important journey and to be used to facilitate isolation or quarantine
- A brand new necessary directive on journey would require folks to quarantine for 14 days upon return to the county from journey of greater than 150 miles
Well being officers anticipate virus-spreading Thanksgiving gatherings and flu season so as to add extra sufferers and overwhelm hospitals by mid-December. The county has seen 32,985 instances because the pandemic started — the best within the larger Bay Space — and 476 deaths.
“Immediately we’re between an excessive rock and a tough place,” Cody stated. “Our centered measures as we’ve seen are not any match for the tsunami of instances and hospitalizations.”
© Copyright 2020 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This materials might not be printed, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Bay Metropolis Information contributed to this report